Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Top 20 Bassists In Metal

Ok so here are the top 20 bassists in my opinion.  Again the same rules apply for what I think makes a good bass player.  Without a good rhythm section you will fail, and i think that all of these guys are really great bass players.  Bass is a whole different animal when it comes to playing a guitar.  The 6-string guitar, and bass guitar are only similar by one word guitar.  The way is played, felt, heard, and loved is totally separate from its other string brother.  The strings are much more aggressive on your hands with the strings being much larger.  The strumming hand has so many possibilities with style.  With slab bass, fingering, and using a pic.  The equipment used is totally different.  So the bass guitar is the same only by name.  So here are my top 20 who I think dominate this instrument in metal.  Enjoy. 

1. Lemmy Kilmister - Motorhead



2. Geezer Butler - Black Sabbath


3. Cliff Burton - Metallica


4. David Ellefson - Megadeth



5. Steve Harris - Iron maiden


6. Robert trejillo - Suicidal Tendancies/Ozzy/Metallica


7. Ryan Martinia - Mudvayne




8. Les Claypool - Primus


9. John Paul Jones - Led Zeppelin


10. Alex Webster - Cannibal Corpse


11. Gene Simmons - Kiss


12. John Myung - Dream Theater


3. Justin Cancellor - Tool



14. Rex - Pantera/Down


15. Tom Araya - Slayer


16. Peter Steele - Type O Negative


17. Byron Stroud - Strapping Young Lad/Fear Factory


18. Geddy Lee - Rush


19. Jason Newsted - Metallica/Voivod/Flostam & Jetsam


20. Frank Bello - Anthrax



Ok so there you have it.  My top 20 Bassists in metal.  Now I know what some of you are saying hey wait you put guys like Geddy Lee, John Paul Jones and Les Claypool in there.  Honestly I think these guys could step into any style and play it better than most of the guys doing it so that's why I put them in there.  Now there were some that I left out like Flea from the Red Hot Chili Peppers, but sorry I'm not a big fan of them, but Flea is a great bassists though.  They haven't done anything that I think could be remotely considered metal so that's the main reason I left him off.  So like I said if you have a good rhythm section you will have a surviving band.  Now next is the drums.  The heart beat of music.  That says it all as to how important a good drummer is to a successful band.  So until the next one.  Laters

2 comments:

julia said...

I totally agree with # 11...love hime!!

Joshua Chadwick Klesel said...

Yeah Gene started a lot of bass work that is def used in modern rock and heavy music today. His shock element is def something that has influenced rock today. I mean look at all of the shocker rockers today they get all their influence from guys like Gene Simmons, Alice Cooper, and David Bowie with his abstract wardrobe back in the day. These guys started that all.

Post a Comment