Monday, November 14, 2011

Opeth - Heritage Review

Opeth - Heritage



   I know this is long over due, and I was debating on weather or not I was going to do a review on this record at all.  But it's just to good to pass up.  I have to talk about this record.  So for those of you who don't know who Opeth is.  If you look at my blog you should.  They've been mentioned all through out it from time to time.  Opeth are a Swedish Progressive Death Metal band.  They really have pushed through many different styles of music through out their career, but while still keeping a certain amount of Opeth distinctiveness to it, and flair that makes Opeth one of the best metal bands out there right now.
   Now these guys aren't new bees to the scene by any means.  No these guys have been around since the early nineties with their first release Orchid coming out in '95.  So these guys have been working the metal scene for a long time, and are starting to push their way to the top with releases like Blackwater Park, Ghost Reveries, Watershed, and now Heritage.  These guys are signed to Roadrunner Records as of right now, and have been since Ghost Reveries in 2005.  Although they have had a great amount of time in the scene, they only recently have come to see major commercial success.  Ghost Reveries really put them on the map, and Watershed really pushed their popularity to a new level reaching number 23 on the billboard top 200.  Heritage marks their 10th studio record to date and is really showing the next chapters in the world of Opeth, and boy can I not wait to see what's in store for us in the future.  So on to the album.
   Heritage like I said is Opeth's 10th studio record, and it was one of their highest anticipated releases to date.  It was released on September 30, 2011.  This record marks Opeth's highest chart presence with it debuting at number 19 on the Billboard Top 200.  Selling over 19'000 copies in it opening week.  I get really excited when I see bands I like and really respecting getting the money they deserve, cause one I know they worked hard and deserve it, and two I know these guys will put it back into their name making everything better the next time around.  Everything from music, merchandise, videos, to concerts.  They really care about the music and the legacy they want to leave behind so they put everything they have into it.  Heritage was getting a lot of major worry from old Opeth fans.  I wasn't really worried that it wasn't going to sound good, or I wasn't going to like it.  I was just really really ready for a new Opeth record.  Let me just say take everything you've come to know about Opeth.  The death growls, the crushingly heavy guitars, the relentless double bass, and shere intensity, and get rid of all that.  In comes progressive 70's rock.  Styles like Rainbow, Jethro Tull, King Crimson, and Pink Floyd.  Even jazz fusion moments thrown in there.  The guitar work is still very progressively Opeth, and you can tell it's Opeth still doing what they do best.  But with so many other differences.  You're going to hear things on this record you have never heard of in music in general.  I love the bass, and drums on this record.  The rhythm section really shines on this one.  The vocals are all clean melodically sang, and the harmonies that he pulls off are really acerting the fact that I've said Mikael Akerfeldt really is one of the best metal singers today. 
   They really went full force with trying to pay homage to their major influences from the 70's.  Mikael is a huge 70's music nerd, so his knowledge of great bands from this rockin time period really flows in greatly.  The solos are perfectly placed with the right amount of distortion to augment the clean guitars.  The lyrics are great.  Something about his words makes you want to go out and learn about all kinds of stuff.  There are some really dark moments in his lyrics, and then some lighter sides.  I'll let you decipher what they mean to you on your own, but I've always liked his lyrics very much.  Now something that I'm still all giddy about is the drums.  The drums are amazing on this one.  They sound really raw, and natural, but together and very tight.  The jazz quality of drumming on this record is so flawlessly done.  Martin Axenrot really pushed his capabilities on this on, and is proving to be one of the more valuable members of Opeth.  Martin Mendez's bass is really rich sounding.  He switches from stand up to traditional bass through out the record.  The opening track which is a piano piece has some stand up accentuating the song very well, and you come to hear it later in the record as well.  There are moments where he is really pulling off a Jethro Tull flute solo very well on Famine.  I would say that's probably the heaviest track on the record.  The record flows very well, and wants you listening to more after every track which for the casual listener is a good thing. 
   Most of the old school Opeth fans that are set on the death metal side of Opeth may not appreciate this one as much.  There is like I said no heavy vocals what so ever, and really focuses on his clean tones.  Which sound great in my opinion, but to the di-hard death metal fan I can see why this record wouldn't be as good to you.  To the di-hard Opeth fan though this record will make you shit your pants as to how good it is.  I love everything about this record.  I only have one small really small complaint.  It's a noticablly quite record.  I put this one in and have to turn it up 3 volumes to really be at the same level I was at previously.  Maybe it's because of the style, the ritchness of the instruments, or I could be just going deff I don't know.  It really sets it up for headphones.  Which I have no problem doing, but you'll miss little sounds and accents in the back ground if you don't have it pretty load.  Like the start of Famine sets a great mood for a thunderous track.  The drums, piano, flute, guitars, and vocals are great.  That is one of my favorite tracks off the record.
   Leigh and I went to go see them when they came with Katatonia at Stubb's and it was amazing.  We were right up front and got to see them really play their asses off.  These guys are beyond perfection and commend so much respect.  I really don't know why they aren't accepted more in the United States because these guys are super super talented and know what they are doing, and do it without flaw.  I highly recommend going to see them live whenever you get a chance you won't be sorry. 
   So Opeth's Heritage is going to be one of my favorite albums of the year.  If not my number one.  Do I give a perfect 10 you ask?  No unfortunatly I can't.  While being a prefectly executed record with so much to offer I still feel the overall quite pressance makes it hard to get someone who is new to Opeth, or just a cassual music listener really in to them off of this record.  Someone who grew up in the 70's, or who is in to jazz would be easier of course.  Now put Ghost Reveries, or Watershed, or even Blackwater Park on and they will go ape shit over it.  I give this record a solid 9.5 out of 10, and I am really looking forward to the next years of Opeth.  We will be in for some eargasmic music let me just say.  So until next time stay hard, stay heavy.




Full album from youtube here.  Just put it on and drift away.  You won't want to come back I promise

0 comments:

Post a Comment