Sunday, November 13, 2011

Albums of the Week - The Classics Revisited

You can't go wrong with the classics.  So I wanted to put together five classic albums from the 80's that I was jamming this week.  They are albums that I've listened to many time over and have enjoyed through out the years, and still are just as strong as as they were when I was younger.  So here they are a few classics to grind your teeth to. 

Accept - Balls To the Wall - 1984


Balls to the Wall is Accepts first prize trophy.  They really hit it out of the park with this release, and in my opinion haven't hit anything as close to this record.  They've had a few hiatus times through out there career, but with their new 2010 release Blood of the Nations show no signs of slowing down.  That album is a great return to what made Accept great, and I'm glad to see them really re charging their walks through this crazy long road that is heavy metal.  If you like Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, and AC/DC you'll love Accept.



Judas Priest - Screaming For Vengeance - 1982


I can't say enough good things about Judas Priest.  Along with Black Sabbath they really were on of the first bands to set the horizons for every metal band there after.  Their influences on so many different genres of extreme music is painfully obvious.  They will go down as one of the greatest bands in the history of rock/metal.  Screaming For Vengeance is by far my favorite album from them, and I still listen to this today and get just as pumped as I used to when I was younger running around screaming you've got another thing comin haha.  Oh memories.



Iron Maiden - Number of the Beast - 1982


Another essential band in the formation of what metal is today.  You can't talk about heavy metal and not mention Iron Maiden.  The guitars, the bass oh man the bass, the drumming, and lets not forget the unforgettable vocals.  Bruce Dickenson has proven himself to be one of the greatest singers in rock/metal history.  This is by far my favorite record from these titans of metal, and every track is amazing.  I really wish I could've been 18 in 1982 and really experience this record in it prime.  It still rocks just as hard for me now as it did for so many metal heads in the 80's




Metallica - Ride the Lightning - 1984


An essential album for any metal fan.  Metallica really set the movement for a more commercially acceptable extreme metal.  They are the band that started the thrash movement in my opinion.  Along with Slayer, Megadeth, and Anthrax these guys were on top of the metal world in the 80's, and crushed anything trying to compete with the these lions.  Ride the Lightning is my favorite record from these guys.  Master of Puppets is fighting for this spot, but I just think the solos and guitar structures on this record are absolutely amazing.




Venom - Welcome to Hell - 1981


Venom is a beast all its own.  They really have an authentic sound like no other band out there.  At times it's kaotic, and crazy.  Other times it's together, refined, and smooth rocking.  None the less it always kicks ass.  This band has influenced so many bands today from every genre of metal.  From black metal, thrash, speed, death, to just down right rock N roll.  They I think will never get the recognition they deserve, but I'll respect them as one of the greatest metal bands of all time. 



So there they are.  Just five records that I listened to in honor of the 80's revisited this week.  There are many many many more out there, and I urge every metal head to start here and work your way up to what metal is today.  I got a greater appreciation for some of todays music knowing where they pulled their sounds from, and really immortalized the classics on my sacred shelves of darkness that is my cd collection.  Guys like Anthrax, Slayer, Megadeth, Kreator, AC/DC, Alice Cooper, Sodom, Voivod, Flotsam & Jetsam, and Ozzy are just to name a few of the artists that were running the metal movement in the 80's.  There's always the hair metal genre, but I don't really consider that stuff metal at all, and don't really like any of the bands that were associated with the world of atrocities.  So until next time stay hard, stay heavy.   

0 comments:

Post a Comment