Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Bush - The Sea of Memories Review

Bush - The Sea of Memories


   So I wanted to do as many reviews as I can before the new year on the 2011 albums I've picked up so far.  The year is almost over and I've been behind on talking about some of the goods and bads of the year.  So here is a rather different one among the metal masses.  Bush's The Sea of Memories marks the return of Bush since they called it quites in 2002 after their fourth studio release Golden State didn't do as well as they had hoped.  I've always liked Bush.  I remember listening to their early stuff over and over again.  And living in Austin who loves Bush apparently you can't listen to 101X without hearing Bush every single day.  They can't help but play the same artists from day to day.  One of the reasons I don't listen to the radio at all these days.  Amoung others like Stone Temple Pilots, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Alice In Chains, and The Smashing Pumpkins Bush was right there along with those guys in my younger years.  Now not so much only cause I've been focusing on broadening my metal ears, and have lost touch with my alternative rock roots a little.  So this release I had high hopes for, and I'd have to say they didn't disappoint, and left room to improve and the Sea of Memories is showing that the Gavin and the guys are still good at what they do and can release a decent rock album still. 
   The Sea of Memories has a great rock presence to it.  It's not very pop like at all.  I was kind of worried that Gavin being married to Gwen Stefani and her pop influences would bleed in to his music, but it really didn't for the most part.  They keep it pretty rockin the whole way through with a few softer breaks through out.  Some of the guitar tones on this record really are very rich, and full.  It sounds like they really put a lot of thought in to making the guitars sound as good as they possibly could.  Everything seems evenly matched as well.  There are great bass moments, guitar melodies, and great vocal harmonies.  Gavin Rossdale has a very recognizable voice that still today sounds just as good as he did in 94 on Sixteen Stone.  There are some decent solos stuck in there that accent the melodies pretty well.  Nothing really flashy like you'd hear on a Megadeth, Steve Vai record but it all fits with the perfect amount of flair sprinkled in to give it that Bush staple.  Which sometimes less is more, and in this case they definitely pulled off a good rock record.  I like it when bands go away for a while and return and really give us a good return and not fall short.
   Like I said there is an evenly matched amount of punch to finesse on this record.  For instance the song All Night Doctors.  It starts with a great piano vocal mix, and in comes a nice remnants of Glycerin guitar tone and progression.  It really brings back that song again while standing out on it's own as well.  For me the shining points of this record are the guitar structures, and the vocals.  I really think Gavin came through on his guitar writing, and singing which makes me breathe easier.  I wasn't really to impressed with Gavin's solo works, but like I said it may not be to a fault of his own.  I wasn't in to that style much anyway so maybe I gave it a cold shoulder when I shouldn't have.  I'll probably go back and listen to it again just to see if it sparks something.  
   So as for The Sea of Memories, I liked it very much so.  I think it is a great listen and, a good return to Bush's distinctive sound that we've come to know so well.  While giving us tastes of something new from these guys.  I can listen to this record pretty much any time and not feel bored, and let down.  So I'm glad this record re-energized Bush for me, and will probably be following them again because of this record.  Great job guys.  I give this record a solid 8 as of right now.  It may get better as the end of the year we will have to see.  So until next time stay hard, stay heavy.   

0 comments:

Post a Comment