Wednesday, October 5, 2011

New Blood In The Dirt 3

So if you've been looking at my blog from when I started this you'll know that I do this new blood in the dirt thing.  These groups don't have to be break through bands, or fresh on the scene.  They are just new to me.  Some are pretty old, and some are new.  None the less I discover new bands every day it seems, and these are just the next 20 that are kicking my ears right now.  Now some of the ones in my older dirt, what I guess I can call dried up blood dirt I've maybe stopped listening to as much like The Acacia Strain, Heaven Shall Burn, Miss May I.  And I just noticed that I put The Sword on both my first and second one.  Oops my bad.  So here they are the next installment of The New Blood In The Dirt 3.


Witchcraft


Witchcraft are a Swedish doom rock band.  They are three albums in to their career.  They posses so much classic blood in them in flows out like nothing I've ever seen from guys so young.  I mean these aren't old dudes doing the stuff they used to do in the 70's or whatever.  These guys are really keeping the old school rock vibe together, and I am really digging it.  



The Gates of Slumber


The Gates of Slumber are another band that kick it old school really really really well.  I can't say really enough times.  These guys look like three guys that just love to bang their heads to the classics like Sabbath, Judas Priest, Candlemass.  And even rock guys like Kiss, and Zeppelin, and Alice Cooper.  I highly recommend these guys to anyone who likes classic metal like Sabbath, and Candlemass.  


Ghost Brigade


This is Ghost Brigade.  A Finish Progressive Death Metal band.  These guys at moments remenese Katatonia  some what, and then in their heavy moments they have a great amount of melody to their progression while keeping really heavy sounding also.  I recommend these guys if you like stuff like early The Ocean, Katatonia, Intronaut, Daylight Dies.  It's really hard to put a label on these guys, but great stuff none the less. 


Skeletonwitch


I absolutely had a major trip out when I first saw this video.  It is pure genius, but so random it just boggles my mind.  But these guy are a really cool thrashy black metal band that really just hit it pretty hard.  They have great technicality, and great energy.  Really great stuff. 


Warbringer


Man Warbringer sound like the great years of Thrash Metal.  The 80's.  If I didn't know who they were and what decade they are playing in I would've though how could I have missed these guys from the 80's.  They are really bringing back Thrash, and giving that new kick it needs so everyone remembers where a lot of today's modern metal comes from.  If you like guys like Kreator, Exodus, Sodom, and Overkill.  You'll love these guys.  I know I'm really liking it. 


Sylosis


Sylosis is another group of guys that possess a lot of classic thrash elements to their craft, but also have a new age take as well.  There are some moments that really scream classic thrash, speed metal days, and then there are times where their metal-core roots come out as well.  Their technical playing is really great.  They have a lot of promise for the future of today's metal.  They are kind of fresh to the scene.  They had their debut Conclusion of An Age come out in 2008, and their sophomore release Edge of the Earth come out earlier this year.  Its adding up to be one of my favorite albums this year so far, so I highly recommend checking it out.  


Red Fang


This video explains it all about Red Fang.  They're just four guys that like to have a good time, and play some kick ass rock n roll.  Their sound is pretty sludgy, but still real clean also.  They are just in to their second studio release Murder The Mountains, which in my opinion is not as good as their debut only cause I really really dig their opening few tracks on that record.  The whole record is great, but the start just really shows their potential.  The new record pushes a lot of the different influences in the band, but keeps it distinctively Red Fang.  If you like guys like Baroness, Mastodon, Sleep, Kyuss, and High on Fire you may like Red Fang.


Argent


I love this band.  Argent is a English rock band from the 70's formed from the ashes of the rock band The Zombies in the 60's.  They've given great rock tracks like Hold Your Head Up, and God Gave Rock N Roll to You, which would be covered by many artists from Kiss, to the Indie rock band Unrest.  I love that track a lot.  When I want to take a break from head banging craziness I put on some Argent, or Gentle Giant, Yes, Emerson Lake & Palmer, or Toad.  Great band


Graveyard


Graveyard is another band that really is keeping the classics alive.  They are from Gothenburg, Sweden and give us some of the greatest classics sounding rock that I've heard in a long time.  You would've thought after watching this video that it came straight out of the 70's.  Great band.  They have a new one out this year Hisingen Blues and it is stacking up to also being one of my favorites of 2011


Steamhammer


Steamhammer are yet another classic rock band from the late 60's and 70's.  I guess I've been getting in to a lot of the classic rock, and prog rock stuff from the 70's lately.  It's probably because of the new Opeth record.  Which is amazing by the way.  These guys are from Worthing, England and have a lot of blues influence behind their rock.  I really enjoy just jamming these guys when I want to listen to some good classic tunes.   



So there they are.  I know there are a lot of older, more classic sounding bands on this one, but that's really what I've been gravitating towards lately.  I love all kinds of metal, but I'd have to say my favorites have to be thrash, classic, doom, death, and drone metal.  There are so many bands in just those few genres, and bands that mix the genres really well as well.  So if you haven't heard of some of these bands, check em out you might be surprised and find a new obsession in one of them.  SO until next time stay hard, stay heavy.

0 comments:

Post a Comment