Sunday, October 30, 2011

Album of the Week - Albums Rather - Blasts From the Past

Did you ever go to a store and find something that really reminded you of your young teen days and just had to get because it brought back so many good memories.  Well that's kind of what happened to me the other day.  I make frequent trips to Half Price Books, and other used stores cause you can find some pretty good stuff there sometimes.  Every once in a while I'll come across a rare albums, or an album that I've really needed to get, at a pretty low price.  I found these two albums in the dollar section of the cd's.  You know the section.  It's the section that they tuck away thinking no one will buy these so we'll just put them out of the way.  Well I look through those just in case and boy was I pleased.  I found two cd's that were given to me by my Aunt Yvette when I was like 12.  They were huge influences on me.  They were the first cd's that anyone had bought me that I really liked.  Now these albums are Christian albums so don't freak out and think what the hell.  This guy is all about the crazy, hard core heavy metal.  How could he be in to Christian junk?  Well I wasn't always heavy into metal as I am today, and I used to listen to a little Christian music every now and then.  I think I got rid of these cd's when I was like 17 or so.  They just weren't interesting me, and I was into a bunch of other things so they got sold, or given away.  Now some 10 years later I have a new appreciation for good music, whether it be Christian or not.  Now don't get me wrong I don't like a lot of Christian music pretty much all of it except a few bands have good stuff these guys included I like Pillar, Skillet, MercyMe, Switchfoot, P.O.D., Demon Hunter, As I lay Dying, War of Ages, and The Devil Wears Prada.
   Now the guys I'm talking about here are none other than DC Talk, and Jars of Clay.  In the Christian music world these guys are huge.  DC Talk was named the most popular Christian act of all time by the  Encyclopedia of Contemporary Christian Music, and has won numerous Grammy awards for various things through out their career.  Dc Talk has released five studio albums, and consist of three group members Toby McKeehanMichael TaitKevin Max who have all since DC Talk's permanent hiatus in 2000 gone on to pursue sucessfull solo careers.  Jars of Clay have been going strong since their inception in the early 90's.  Their debut which is the one that I'm featuring here was released in 95, and let me just say nothing that these guys have done since has impacted me the same.  Their debut is amazing.  There's all kinds of cool acoustic melodies, violin orchestrations, cool drum tracking, and vocal harmonies that make this album by far my favorite Christian album, with DC Talk's Jesus Freak which is the other one close behind.  Jars of Clay have been putting out consistent albums through out their career.  They to date have released 11 studio albums and a few compilation albums, and other things.  Nothing has been able to top the impact that their debut had at the time.  The album was listed as #22 in the 2001 book  CCM Presents: The 100 Greatest Albums in Christian Music.  So for me these albums hold a dear place in my heart that I won't ever forget, and when I saw them there for a buck I had to pick them up.  So here they are the albums of the week.  DC Talk's Jesus Freak, and Jars of Clay's self titled debut Jars of Clay.  Enjoy


DC Talk - Jesus Freak
1995











Jars of Clay - Jars of Clay
1995









Ok so there you go.  I know, I know it's such a change of pace right.  Well don't worry metal heads we have many more weeks to go.  I just felt like giving an awsome blast from the past.  So I hope yo uenjoyed this weeks albums of the week.  Who know what will be next week, we will see.  So until next time stay hard, stay heavy.  


Last Week's album of the week 


0 comments:

Post a Comment