Sunday, March 20, 2011

Lamb of God - Profile Highlight

- Lamb of God -







  Lamb of God, well what's not to say about Lamb of God.  These guys came into my world of music probably in 2005 or 06.  I was playing Guitar Hero and they had Laid To Rest from their Ashes of the Wake album.  I loved that song and couldn't stop playing it.  Over and over and over man.  I started looking up the band and found out more about them.  The more I found out and learned about them the more I fell in love with their fist pumping, fast, technical American metal.  Since then I've gotten everything they have released that I could get my hands on.  I truly think they are the new faces of American metal, like Pantera was in the Nineties.  What a band to take the reigns and ride them into the fog and pumble all in their path. 
  Now a little history of the band.  Lamb of God are from Richmond, Virginia and were formed in 1994.  I came into liking them right when they came into the limelight of the metal world with their release of Ashes of the Wake.  Originally known as Burn the Priest they formed in 1990 with founding members guitarist Mark Morton, drummer Chris Adler, and bassist John Campbell.  They released a few demos and two split albums Agents of Satin, and ZED, before releasing their full-length self-titled release.  After replacing Abe Spear when he left with Chris Adler's brother Willie Adler the line-up was complete and final.  They were criticized for their name early on.  Saying it was to evil, and was preventing them from getting work so the changed their name to Lamb of God.  Even though Lamb of God is a total kick-ass name for a metal band.  I never took them for guys that would change their name because of what some club owners or people thought of them you know.  Judging by the driven energy, and power behind their music. 
  After changing their name, getting a new label they released two albums New American Gospel, and As the Palaces Burn from 2000-2003.  While favoring Pantera esk American style, they packed a signature Lamb of God crunch that was beginning to engrave itself in the ears of metal listeners out there.  They were on their way to becoming the main men of today's metal scene.  In 2004 they released Ashes of the Wake.  The album debuted at 27 on the Billboard 200, and sold over 35,000 copies in its first week.  The album was released through Epec Records, and was their highest received album yet.  The record was well received by guys like Revolver, and other heavy metal critics.  In fact Revolver names Ashes of the Wake album of the year behind Mastodon's Leviathan.  The album gives you extremely fast technicals, great American groove, chest pumbling screams, great lyrics, and an over-all attitude that seems to want to take over the world.  Which they were on their way to achieving with this release.  My favorite song of the album is One Gun , or Ashes of the Wake, which is pretty much an instrumental with one of the most intoxicating riffs I've ever heard. 
  In 2006 they released Sacrament their 5th studio album.  It debuted at number 8 on the Billboard 200, and sold almost 65,000 records in its first week.  Truly amazing for a few guys from a Virginia town that were just wanting to play music and hang out and have fun doing it right.  It was well received by fans and critics.  The album flowed through technical melodies, and slower grooves, and would bounce back to face smacking intensity.  I thought Sacrament was a great record.  I started to learn to play a few of their jams on the guitar and really got a grasp of the true talent that these guys posses.  Willie Adler and Mark Morton are truly some of the greatest guitar players today.  Willie Adler was featured in my top 20 guitarists in Metal post, and its much deserved.These guys were on the top of the world and were dominating ever apposing force in front of them.  At this point in my obsession with Lamb of God I was constantly listening to them all the time, getting t-shirts, and buying everything I could from them.  I couldn't get enough.  Randy's lyrics seemed to give me this since of individuality, and stronghold on my own life and say I'm in charge not some human, or God, and nothing will get in my way of vanquishing all my enemies. 
  So seemingly Lamb of God have created a pretty good following, and set a name for themselves that to me really couldn't be topped.  Boy was I wrong.  In 2009 they released their 6th studio album Wrath.  Wrath debuted at number 2 on the Billboard 200 and sold over 68,000 copies.  Truly amazing!  I loved the new artwork on the Lamb of God logo for Wrath.  With this release I was sucked in completely and couldn't escape.  I was ok with that though.  Take me into your proverbial arms and teach me the way of metal.  Ha ha.  I had to see these guys live there was no doubt that they were on top of everything I was listening to at the time.  I went to see them at the Austin Music Hall.  The had Job For a Cowboy, and GWAR open for them.  It was freakin awsome.  Randy's ability to control the crowd is uncanny and like no other.  The only let down of the concert was Mark Morton was unable to attend due to some personal business he had to sort out at home.  They had the guitarist from God Forbid fill in for a while, which was a little let down but Willie was able to kick some major ass doing most of his solos and technical parts.  I'll say that while Lamb of God were truly amazing that night GWAR were not half bad as well.  Their show is like no other.  Those guys are pretty crazy, and its just a fun, messy, slimy time that will blow your mind, and leave your brains scrambled on the floor.  I knew we were in for a treat when I saw the security guards in front of the stage putting on rain coats right before they came on.  I recommend checking them out for sure.  Wrath possessed some of their most technically fast material to date.  With Chris Adler really bringing out his drumming capabilities, and Mark Morton's signature southern soloing styles.  Chris Adler was featured on my top 20 drummers in metal post.  He really brought out the bast technicals that I wanted to hear so bad on Wrath.    These guys are full of great talent and potential to really rule the world of metal, and possibly music in general.  I can't imagine where the road leads for Lamb of God but I hope its on top, and even if its not these guys will have my respect for many many years to come. 
  Lamb of God have achieved so much in their short 15 years of playing together, and the sky is the limit.  They have headlined many great festivals like Mayhem Festival, Download Festival, PULP Summer Slam, They have toured with greats like Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer, DevilDriver, and Testament, but when these guys would play the crowd wouldn't be any other than a Lamb of God crowd.  They own when they go out on stage, and will continue to in the future.  These guys to me are the new faces of American Metal and I will forever be a big fan of theirs.  I wish I could get an opportunity to talk to the guys and really get to know them cause in all the interviews, and extras I've seen these guys just seem like great musicians that just love playing music, and having fun.  I highly recommend the albums Ashes of the Wake, Sacrament, and Wrath.  They plan to release new material in 2011 which I am itching for.  So we will see what they achieve with this release.  Number 1 baby!

Album releases to date are as follows


As - Burn the Priest - Burn the Priest - 1999





New American Gospel - 2000





As the Palaces Burn - 2003





Ashes of the Wake - 2004





Killadelphia - 2005





Sacrament - 2006





Wrath - 2009




Also: Terror and Hubris (Live DVD) - 2003





Killadelphia (Live DVD) - 2005





Walk With Me In Hell (DVD) - 2008




Also: Hourglass (Box Set) - 2010





Lamb of God are: Currently
Former Member are:
  • Abe Spear – guitar (1994–1998)

Her are some videos of Lamb of God enjoy









0 comments:

Post a Comment