Saturday, February 25, 2012

New Post Finally

Ok so I know it's been a while since my last post, and for that I'm sorry.  I've been pretty busy.  I started school at the start of the year, and it's awsome.  I really enjoy going to school and learning about the music industry.  I have great teachers, and people to work with.  I'm going to MediaTech Institute of Austin if you were wondering.  I highly recommend the school to anyone who enjoys music and has thought of making a career out of it.  So on top of school through out the week I also have to work to pay the bills on the weekends as well, so pretty much everyday is filled with something to do, and when I have any time to post it's usually spent resting, or spending time with my family.  So here it is my first post of the year.  I guess I'll do a what I'm in to right now post.  I've been jamming a lot of stuff lately and I'd have to say that right now I'm really into stuff like stoner metal, or drone, sludge like stuff.  I really respect the classic nature of the sounds, riffs, and atmospheres in the music.  Some of the artists have been around for a long time, and some not so much. I'm also into some softer stuff from last year.  2011 was a great all around the board of music.  I mean there were some really really good releases this last year that I'm still really digging.  So here it is my What I'm Into Right Now Post.


Alcest



Alcest have like a melodic Black Metal vibe going on.  They are from France and speak in their native tongue which adds a bit of mysticysim to their music.  Well for thos of us who don't speak French.  They are much more than melodic black metal though.  They cary a real Shoegaze quality.  I won't go into what Shoegaze means thats for another day, because there's so many things to take in to concideration when you talk about shoegaze artists.  They aren't slaves to any one style.  I highly recommend these guys for people that like Les Discrets, maybe Agalloch, Daylight Dies, or something like that.  It's hard to compair them.  Great great band.  Theyr new album is amazing and it will definitly be on the top of whats coming out this year for me.



Witchcraft




I'm sure I've mentioned these guys already in the past.  I'm still jamming these guys stuff all the time.  I can't get over the classic nature these guys possess.  At times they sound like Black Sabbath, Pentagram, THe Doors, Zeppelin, and then they kick in their own sound that really gets me pumped.  I think these guys will be at the fore front of classic metal soon, and I can't wait to see what everyone else will try to do to top Witchcraft, because these guys pose a huge threat to the throne of the style that the many artists take very seriously.


Bon Iver




Bon Iver was definitly on top of my softer lists last year, and made the number one spot for best alternitive record of the year for me.  To be fair Bon Iver isn't really alternitive.  It's hard to place him in a certain genre of music.  His 2011 is a must get for anyone that loves real music, and real people playing their instruments.  It's full of lush synth, and distortion.  Great high pitch melodies, laced with mind blowing low vocal harmonies.  There are hornes spread out through out the record.  There are two full drum sets being played on this record.  So it's a huge step up intrument wise from his previous working For Emma, Forever Ago.  The lyrics are still very Bon Iver esk.  Very poetic, mystical, confusing, intelligent, passionate, and motivating if nothing else.  I have recommend these guys to a few people and they are now considering Bon Iver their favorite group.  I highly recommend checking it out.



Pentagram



Along with Sabbath, Priest, and Iron Maiden.  Pentagram stand right next to them as the giants of metal.  If you don't know who Pentagram is you don't know a damn thing about heavy metal.  Pentagram is one of the greatest heavy metal band of all time hands down.  Right up there with Black Sabbath, and Judas Priest.  They've helped cary the Sabbath sound and keep it alive for sure.  They really have helped so many bands define themselves and achieve their sound.  Everything from Candlemass, My Dying Bride, to Kyuss, or Acid bath even.  There are influences of these guys sprinkled in all of that stuff.



Fu Manchu






Fu Manchu have been around since the early 90's and have been kickin it hard ever since.  I really love their groovy stoner metal style.  They have at times like a Kyuss mixed with the Queens of the Stoneage, toped with Monster Magnet or something like that.  They are just s great hard rock band that everyone should check out.  Their sound is so natural, and ritch sounding you can't go wrong.



Orange Goblin



Orange Goblin are another top notch stoner metal group that are really keeping this sound rushing through on to the next generation of metal, cause as we all know the majority of metal, and music in general for that mater isn't really music anymore.  There are two differences in music today.  There are intertainers, and musicians, and it seems that we are loosing what made music good.  And that was having the total package.  The Beatles, Led Zeppilin, Pink Floyd, Queen, The Who, Lynard Skynard, AC/DC, Black Sabbath I could go on, but these guys are really keeping the true meaning of music alive with their very groovy heavy classic metal approach. 



Ghost Brigade




I'm really enjoying Ghost Brigade right now.  I got into them this last year with their 2011 release Until Fear No Longer Defines Us.  Now I'd have to say I don't like that one as much as their earlier works.  They have really cool mix of progressive drone sounding guitar melodies, and a cool mix of clean and scream vocals.  The production on all of their stuff is top notch.  I hope they start to climb the ranks because they are definitly a band that possess the talent and courage to do so.



Opeth




Come on you guys could've guessed this one.  I am absolutly in love with this band now.  I've been into Opeth for a few year now, and they have changed my life in music forever.  I consider them my favorite band now, which for me is really really hard to do because I love a lot of different bands for many different reasons.  But every time I try and say I love this band for this reason and that reason Opeth has always come out of my mouth for everyone of the reasons.  With their new on released last year though really has just craped on everything else out that year except for like Graveyard, and Mastodon.  It's a must get for every music fan out there.  I will never stop loving this band.  They are the greatest band on the face of the Earth.



Mastodon





You could've guessed this one as well.  Matodon are really a great band as well that have shown with their new one The Hunter put out this last year that they are set to dominate the world with this one.  I think they can do it.  They are on tour with Opeth right now which I really really would love to go to the San Antonio show but probably won't be able to.  which sucks the big one.  I respect Mastodon a lot and ever metal fan needs to check these guys if you haven't yet.  You won't be sorry. 



Graveyard



Graveyard and Opeth were fighting for the number one spot for best record of the year.  I absolutly loved Hisingen Blues, and still can't get enough of it.  I gave it to Opeth because I just favor them more than Graveyard, but if these keep it up they will be fighting with Opeth for the one spot every time.  They are a great representation of the classics, and everything that made the 70's rock great. 



Ok so there they are.  Everything that I'm jamming right now.  While making this post I had a mix of these artists playing and it just really gets me pumped for every one of them on here.  I respect all of them for many different reasons.  Some of them are definitly softer than others, and some are pretty heavy, but none the less all of these guys possess imense talent and are doing great things with music, in an age where the music isn't the focal point anymore.  It's about what you're wearing, what people think of you, your image, the friends you have, the people you know, and how much money your're making.  Everything that music is not about for me.  Music is a way of life.  It's theropy, it has carried me through my lowest lowes in my life, and has seen me through some of the brightest times in my life.  It's my best friend.  I'd say the happiest time in my life so far was the birth of my son, and you know what I had my acoustic guitar in the delivery room, and played it for my son minutes after he came to see the world.  So music for me is very important, and next to my family there is nothing of higher love. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment