Monday, February 27, 2012

Albums of the Week - Classics Revisited 2

  So I did a post a while back called Classics Revisisted, and I want to continue on that same road for this one.  I picked 5 more records from my collection that I wanted to talk about from the 80's.  I could go further back into the 70's if I wanted but I want to focus on the 80's right now for the classics.  So here they are 5 more records from the 80's that really rocked hard in the metal world.




Slayer - Reign In Blood - 1986


You can't talk about heavy metal and not mention Slayer.  Slayer has been a staple in heavy metal since they started killing the compition in the early 80's.  Along with Metallica and other giants like Megadeth, Slayer really have created a iconic metal style and sound that is hear in pretty much every type of heavy metal these days.  This record really is fist pumping, and crunchy the whole way through.  Everything from the drumming, guitars, to the lyrics are just screaming heavy metal.  Reign In Blood has been said to be the best thrash record of all time, and it really posses a serious threat to every competitor in that world of metal.  I absolutely love this record, and the only thing I could say bad about it is that it's to damn short and I don't want it to end.  That's really it.



Danzig - Danzig - 1988


 I am a huge Danzig fan.  I absolutely love his first 4 records for sure.  Some of the later years is in my opinion were definitly not as good, but with his new one released in 2010 Deth Red Sabaoth he really returned to what made Danzig a driving force in rock, and metal in general.  Danzig has a sound all his own, and can't really be put into one main catagory of music.  At times he has a real bluesy type of sound, and then he'll have a real rock N roll sound, and then he'll kick your ass with his heavy metal side.  Danzig's voice is one of the most recognizable voices in music today.  If Ozzy is the creator of heavy metal, and Lemmi is the Godfather, what does that make Danzig.  The Prince, or demon child of Ozzy, and Rob Halford haha.  Great record that I still get chills from when I listen to it many times later.



AC/DC - Black In Black


Back In Black is a legendary album in the history of Rock N Roll.  I don't think I've met a single person who doesn't know who AC/DC are.  AC/DC are a house hold name in music, and have the right to be.  These legends of rock have given us so many timeless Rock N Roll tunes over the last 40 years, adn will go down as one of the greatest bands of all time for sure.  Back In Black marks the first album to not feature Master Bon Scott on Vocals after he tragically died that same year in 1980.  So with the passing of Bon comes the replacement Brian Johnson.  Let me just say while I really respect the early year of AC/DC Brian Johnson does an amazing job, and Back In Black just wouldn't be what it is honestly without him on vocals giving it that certain flair it has.  This record is an essential record for any fan of rock n roll.



Judas Priest - British Steel - 1980


I had Screaming For Vengance on my previous classics post, and this one has to go down next.  I love Judas Priest, almost more than Black Sabbath.  Man it's close.  This record though really has so many good things in it.  Tracks like Metal Gods, Grinder, Living After Midnight, and of course Breaking the Law really are just bliss in my opinion.  In 1980 Judas Priest really showed their power and drive to push their sound into the next generation of metal.  Still today these guys seem to perserver in a genre that is very quickly evolving.  Britich Steel will go down as one of the best metal records of all time.



Megadeth - Peace Sells... But Who's Buying - 1986


After Dave Mustaine was stupidly kicked out of Metallica in comes Megadeth, and honestly leaving Metallica was the best thing that could've happened to Dave.  Megadeth, along with Slayer, and Metallica own the statement Thrash Metal, and honestly along with Slayer have been the only guys to really uphold the name through out the generations.  There has been a few rocords that haven't hit as close to home as others.  I mean Risk was not a great record by any means, but pretty much everything Dave Mustaine has done has been inovative, interesting, and challenging none the less.  Peace Sell marks the beginning of the metal giants Megadeth, and honestly command more praise than Metallica now a days, for the sole reason of keeping the thrash alive and still going just as strong as they were in the past.  As Metallica obvously have not done. 



Ok so there they are.  Another five records that are a must have for any fan of rock or metal.  I will continue going with the classic 80's records that I really respect as some of the greatest records ever released.  Maybe I'll do some Kreator, or Candlemass or something.  I don't know we will see.  So until next time stay hard, and stay heavy.



0 comments:

Post a Comment