Friday, May 20, 2011

Seether - Holding Onto Strings Better Left To Fray Review



   Ok well I know it's been a while since I've written a post.  I've just been pretty busy, and side tracked with other things but I'm back for a pretty good one. 
   Seether has always been a band that I've had mad respect for many years.  I remember when Disclaimer came out what in 2002.  It really wowed me, and then when Disclaimer 2 came out I was even happier.  They did a great job revamping Disclaimer.  When Karma and Effect came out in 2005 I really started to respect them as musicians and as a band that is going to be around for a long while.  That album really gets me pumped, and it has such passion, and finesse at times, but then packs a pretty heavy post-grunge punch.  Finding Beauty in Negative Spaces through me for a loop at first.  It had to grow on me a little more before I started really liking it.  That album had a lot of radio friendly hits, but keeping it original and fresh sounding.  I really think that Seether is one of the only popular radio rock bands that are keeping the genuine musicianship alive in radio hits.  These guys know how to write good radio friendly songs, but not seeming very cliche, or cop out type stuff like a lot of whats being played on the radio these days.  I liked how on FBINS we heard a few different sides of Seether like No Jesus Christ with the groovy, cool bass licks in the beginning, and radio hits like Fake It, Rise Above This, and Walk Away From the Sun.   I always felt that I could connect with Shaun on his lyrics.  They were at times very close to the heart, and passionate.  Than very angry, and in your face pissed of at other times.  He has a way of bringing his lyrics to life in his music with his energy, and genuine delivery of all his lyrics.  He really transcends a lot of different attitude adjustments throughout their material flawlessly, and tells many different stories during the records.  I've seen them live like 4 times and each time they wowed me beyond prefect.  These guys really bring their talents to the stage and write great music that sounds even better live.  
   So with as much respect as I have for this band, I would naturally have really high expectations for their new material.  Really anything after Karma and Effect I am very critical of because I really have high expectations of these guys.  This new album has been a long time coming these guys don't seem to rush their creative process at all which leaves the fans itching for more and more for longer, but when it comes it floors them and leaves them breathless.  Kind of like Tool, or Slipknot.  Holding Onto Strings Better Left to Fray does not disappoint by any means.  This is in my opinion their most radio friendly album to date.  There are some very catchy infectious songs on this record like Fur Cue, Here and Now, Tonight, and Roses.  I think there is major potential for those tracks to be dominating the radio airwaves soon for sure.  While being their most radio friendly working like I said there are still moments where there are moments that you can hear old school Seether sounds like in the first opener Fur Cue is just a fist pumping jam that gets my head going, to Desire For Need that the two dum dums of the drums and guitar in the beginning really gets me ready for a great ride.  There are some decent guitar workings on this record as well.  Like the song No Resolution really shows their ability to write good rock N roll with kick ass solos that really give the song that extra bit of flair it needs.  To even the song Country Song which shows that they don't take themselves to seriously even with all the surrounding lyrical depth in Shaun's writing.  They have been known for being a very dark, depressive rock band, and that's not the case with these guys by any means.  I'd have to say though even though I totally get why they made that track to prove that they can just get together and write fun groovy jams together and not worry about sounding like standard Seether, it is my least favorite song on the record.  Only cause dare I say it it's very reminiscent of a nickelback jam or something along those lines with the heys and wos in the background during the chorus.  It just makes me think of Nickelback.  Which I absolutely despise that band.  Sorry guys but I just get that feeling is all.  I could be wrong.  It's good to hear them add the guitar texture on this record with the solo workings of Troy McLawhorn.  He's worked with them before and even though they don't accredit him as an official member of the band this record really wouldn't have sounded half as good without his presence with his guitar layers and solos throughout the record.  
   So as an entire effort I'd say that these guys delivered another great record that will please a lot fans out there radio listeners, and the di-hard fans alike.  They really know how to make a great rockin record that keeps you jamming the whole way through, and at times makes you want to give someone a hug haha.  Like the song Tonight I just feel like getting up and holding my arms out and smiling and just be happy to be alive.  I know the more I listen to this record it will grow on me more and more, kind of like the Foo Fighters record is right now.  I really am digging that record also.  So at this moment I'm going to give it a solid 8.5 and its possible to move up to a 9 later but right now it's an 8.5.  Nothing will top Disclaimer 2 for me.  That record touched me in so many ways when I was in high school that I can't seem to connect with anything as much yet.  So until next time stay hard, and stay heavy.







0 comments:

Post a Comment